Home                        Place An Order                        Subscribe                        Blog                      About                      Links                      Contact

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

GM in Australia

Hi

I recently made the mistake of thinking that GM was truly everywhere in Australia, even though there are pretty serious regulations as to what crops can be grown using genetic modification and which products they can appear in.

One serious problem, though - from what I can gather - is that Australia has pretty lax regulations in the labelling of GM food.

Before I go on, quick references and answers to labelling questions - plus a petition if you are against GM crops - can be found at the following site:

True Food Network
truefood.org.au
A list of products and companies that have a clear non-GM policy, and those that don't. That's not to say that any companies on either side are guilt free or bad ass - this is simply a list of companies that are definietly GM free, and those that may not be. You can download the 2010 list by clicking here.


There's more, but that will do for now...

These are all long conversations in themselves, but I wonder at this point what people's thoughts are on GM food production? I know that it's easy for me, being a privileged middle class white kid from Sydney, Australia who is lucky enough to be in the position to make these decisions based on morals and preferences, not on the need to provide food for my family where there may not otherwise be enough. But there are serious health implications, and concerns for the environment: what if we're right, and these crops are dangerous to people's health?

Do you only eat organic produce? Do you know which products at the supermarket contain GM ingredients? Are you aware of the pesticides used on the non-organic produce that you buy, and what the possible health implications may be?

I'd really like to hear what people are doing/thinking/buying/boycotting...

Feel free to leave a comment below or email me.

I'll speak to you soon.

Kurt

4 comments:

  1. From An Na via Facebook: "GM definitely worries me but so does this: http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1029050/poisoned

    Our food system is sick."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And from Lia T: "I got a small booklet about GM products in our supermarket. Most of the Woolworth's brand "organic" range are GM as is most Woolworths brand products."

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh? Lia T, is that right? Products are both organic _and_ GM??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the full conversation:

    LT: I got a small booklet about GM products in our supermarket. Most of the Woolworth's brand "organic" range are GM as is most Woolworths brand products.

    KKO: Oh gross, double gross. I agree - the pesticides are a more immediate threat! And labelling any GM product as organic is surely illegal, right? Maybe not...

    MM: Is it because the industry is self regulated? I need to do more research! Lucky I have a cool dude who delivers organic veg to my door. Life win!

    LT: I know, I feel like I don't need to worry as much.

    AN: no way! that is so wrong. I think Woolworths certifies itself doesn't it? Instead of being certified through one of the other agencies? I am pretty sure the regular certifier would not consider it organic.

    LT: ok, sorry I was wrong. The list came from Greenpeace and it was GE (genetically engineered) foods. Is that the same?
    Here's the non GE: Aldi, Homebrand, All Coles products plus more.
    The other list is called "may contain GE": Woolworths Homeb...
    ps, visit truefood.org.au

    ReplyDelete